Ladies, we’ve all been there! That seemingly impossible task of deciding on the perfect hairstyle for that fabulous party can become all too stressful. Make-up, clothes and shoes are lined up and on point, but the hair… what to do with it?! Keep calm, there is a variety of fun and sexy ways to style that hair. This will depend on the length, thickness and shape of your head. So we recommend the following D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself) sleek, wild and curly hair styles, handpicked for their simplicity and effectiveness. These are guaranteed to turn heads and make you feel like the belle of the ball.
THE TOUSLED BOB
It is no secret that tousled hair has always been known to possess an air of sexiness. What better than this short tousled bob to inject a dose of flawless wildness into your party look. The beauty of tousled hairstyles like this is that they look intricate and well thought out, when they are actually very simple to achieve. Since the styling part is low maintenance, you barely need to do anything, especially if your hair already has natural curls or waves.
To get the look…
- Blow dry the hair using a touch of texturing spray gel.
- Use hair straighteners or a curling iron to create random waves, some positioned towards the face and some away from it.
- Work your fingers through the hair to loosen curls.
- Add a little hairspray for a nice finishing touch.
SHORT DIVA CURLS
This hairstyle is a bold statement, commonly styled on African and combination hair or straight hair for added texture. It is ideal for those who want to dominate the party with their appearance, like a diva. Diva curls will definitely turn heads when done right, they look gorgeous in longer lengths as well as short. Follow the steps below to get the look.
- Wash and condition hair using your selected cleanser and conditioner.
- Whilst the hair is saturated, use a wide toothed comb or your fingers to de-tangle the curls from root to tip.
- Rinse then apply a frizz protection serum before blow drying.
- Give your roots a little extra teasing for added volume and pay attention to the fringe, concentrating enough heat there will result in perfect coils.
- Apply your chosen styling cream to add a nice finishing touch.
- Then stretch and shake out the bottom layer of hair to add a bit more length and dimension if need be.
BIG BOUNCY CURLS
These big voluminous curls are perfect for adding a little bit more ‘oomph’ to your party look. Big bouncy curls have always been perceived to be sexy and have been spotted on countless celebrities and movie stars. If done right, these will take your whole look to new heights. Luckily they are easy to achieve and there are various ways to create them, including hot rollers or a curling iron.
Follow these steps and you’ll have gorgeous bouncy curls in no time!
- Start by making sure your hair is thoroughly dry, use a blow dyer to dry it out if need be.
- Add a heat protection serum or spray before introducing your hair to any heat, feel free to include a curl enhancing product into the mix.
- Turn your curling iron on, the temperature settings will depend on the thickness of your hair (the thicker the hair, the higher the temperature).
- Separate your hair into sections to ensure full coverage, then proceed to wrap each section of hair around the curling iron and hold for 5-10 seconds before releasing the curl. Repeat this technique throughout.
- Apply a holding spray or equivalent finishing spray to add a little glow to your locks.
Vintage hairstyles are like fashion, they will rear up to become the next best thing every now and again. A vintage inspired hairstyle is simple to achieve and every woman can benefit from the knowledge of how to achieve or adapt this style. This hairstyle is one the best ways to infuse a classy tone to a look. Add it to a beautiful evening gown with elegant make-up or combine it with a risque ensemble and heads will turn!
- Begin by cleansing and drying hair.
- Once dry, separate hair into sections (ideally three sections: right, left and back).
- Using a thick barrelled curling iron, wrap hair around barrel and watch as big bouncy curls unfold. (Repeat this process until the whole head is complete.)
- Curl the fringe across the forehead for a modern twist of back comb it lightly away from the face.
- Finish styling by applying a finishing spray for luminous, soft feel locks.
- Introduce a splash of red lipstick with a red hair clip for that seductive feminine touch.
This straight fringe is gorgeous with both up-dos and down styles. In this style, the hair is pinned up to accentuate the jaw line for a classy feminine look. When done right, the hairstyle has a perfect blend of playful with assertive undertones. Ideal for thick hair where the fringe hangs thick and straight across the forehead barely skimming the eyebrows.
- Start by working in a styling foam of your choice through towel dried hair.
- Then using a round brush (ideally a large one), coax the fringe down and blow dry using your fingers to tousle.
- After thoroughly blow drying the hair, gather it into sections and secure using bobby pins.
- Arrange the pins near the crown of your head and be sure to leave some wisps of hair on either side of the fringe for that playful touch.
- Finish the look with a medium hold spray.
When it comes to styling, short hair can be extremely versatile. Fabulous when worn curly, straight, to the side, spiked or smooth, the list goes on! There is an option for everyone and a different style for every occasion. From this fun selection, a sexy and carefree messy style will no doubt add a little pizzazz to your party look. Fabulous short messy hair is simple to style, the trick is to make it look effortless. While it may look like you woke up looking this sexy, a little work is needed before you can dance the night away.
First things first…
- Wash and condition your hair.
- Blow dry and run your fingers through without combing. (Working in the opposite direction of your hair’s natural growth will enhance volume and highlight layers.)
- Apply a small amount of thickening or texturising spray for added volume before the final blow dry.
- Finish the look with a touch of hold spray.
SLICKED BACK GLAM
This edgy and sleek hairstyle has been the talk of the town recently. Spotted all over the runway and red carpet, it’s the perfect go-to hairstyle for that party look. Looking glamorous has never been easier, with a style that flaunts the best of both worlds. Slicked back yet still full of volume, walking this fine line can be tricky so here are a few tips on how to get this hairstyle just right.
- Cleanse and condition your hair
- Spray it with a texturising spray then blow dry.
- While blow drying, use a small boar-bristle to enhance volume. (Make sure that you are brushing from the roots at the crown of your head for best results).
- After blow drying the sides of your hair smooth and back, pin with no crease clips while keeping the top volumised.
- Once the pins are in place, use hair straighteners to smooth hair and add a little oil to keep hair strands sleek.
- Back brush your hair and follow up with a fine toothed comb to mould and shape, creating your desired volume.
- Apply a strong hold hairspray to keep hair in place.
SLEEK LOW BUN
Bun hairstyles are extremely versatile and simple to style. Ranging from sleek top knots, messy buns or chic wedding updo styles, there is something for everyone. A sleek high or low ponytail may be just what the stylist ordered for a party look, it is classy and practical, allowing you to add statement earrings or a gorgeous bright red lipstick.
Here’s how to get the most out of this style…
- Prepare your hair using a shine enhancing serum then comb it through, (making sure all knots and tangles are taken care of).
- Pull hair into a ponytail at your desired height and angle, pull through halfway until the lower strands are looped under.
- Next you will have to pull the loose ends forward, tucking them under before gently pulling the sides of the bun together to form a continuous bun.
- Finish styling by applying a firm hold hairspray and you are good to go!